Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Faux Bugs In Resin

Curiosity Cabinet Part 1  
A while ago I became obsessed with curiosity cabinets and decided I wanted to make one and then fill it with handmade curiosities.  These faux (plastic) bugs trapped in resin are my first of several projects. I know they're a little creepy but let's face it, not quite as creepy as the REAL bugs trapped in resin.  Poor little guys.  I love that you can paint toy plastic bugs and make them look like rare beetles using DecoArt's Metallic Lustres.  Truth be told, I went a little nuts making these so if you leave me a comment I'll enter you to win one, OK!  Have fun, make messes 
and don't forget to Make Your Mark!
Love the metallic shimmer!


Perfect in my cabinet with my other projects (coming soon)

Watch the video tutorial here
STUFF YOU'LL NEED
*Dries matte so it's the perfect paint for this project
*Got my mini cake molds at the dollar store
Paintbrushes
HERE'S HOW
1. & 2. Paint the bugs in the black Americana Acrylic and let dry
3. & 4. Embellish the bug with DecoArt's Metallic Lustres
*Mix colors like Brilliant Turquoise and Elegant Emerald
5. & 6. Mix a batch of Glaze Coat making sure to follow the instructions to a "T"
7. & 8.  Pour the Glaze Coat into the molds and then pop the air bubbles with a small torch or long arm lighter
9.  Place the bugs in face down, cover the filled molds and let cure overnight


Remember, leave a comment and you're entered to win one of my little treasures!

19 comments:

  1. Love your Bugs!! Trapped in resin is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these...always been a bit odd myself, lol.
    Will have to try to make them.. maybe not as many... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! So many ideas coming to mind right now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to do this for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok, so these I HAVE to make. I love critters & bugs & have them scattered around

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I think I found our project for teacher gifts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Love it and will give it a try this weekend... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your bugs and would love to win one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. totally lovn' it!!! I'm an Elementary Science teacher!! This will be so cool to do as special bugs for kids who needs a hug!! thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totaly awesome - I'm an elementary science teacher! This will make as cool bugs for the kiddos who need an extra hug just for being an AWESOME Kid!! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally AWESOME!! I'm a elementary science teacher! This will be so cool to use for the kiddos who need a little extra!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these! We have a few bug collections! But this would be a fun addition. I was also thinking halloween party favor too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely idea! perfect for my preschoolers... a happy teacher right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect idea for little boys. They love them.

    ReplyDelete